EPC Rules Changes: What it means for Commercial Landlords and Tenants
With the EPC rule changes (thanks to changes in the MEES Regulations) on 1 April 2023, commercial properties in England and Wales with an energy performance certificate (EPC) rating below E will be deemed to be “sub-standard”. This is part of the journey to the UK Net Zero strategy by 2050 – by 2027, the EPC standard becomes a C and by 2030, a B.
After April 1st this year, landlords can be stopped from issuing new leases and carrying on letting out properties.
What Must Landlords Do?
If a landlord wants to issue a new lease, or continue an existing one, for a substandard property, they should
- Either raise the property’s EPC to at least ‘E’ standard through energy efficiency improvements
- Or, register on the ‘Exemptions Register’
- The non-compliance penalty will be based on between 10 and 20% of the rateable value of the property.
- A breach of less than 3 months will incur a £5,000 fine and 10% of rateable value (to a maximum £50,000). Greater than 3 months incurs a £10,000 fine and 20% of rateable value (to a maximum £150,000).
- Registering false or misleading information on the exemptions register incurs a fine of £5,000. The fine for a failure to comply with an improvement notice is £5,000, too.
How Can JDB Roofing Help?
Award-Winning Commercial And Industrial Roofing Contractors
JDB Roofing are the UK’s premier industrial and commercial roofing contractors, based in Kettering and working nationwide. With over 60 years’ combined experience, we specialise in taking the weight of a roofing project off clients’ shoulders.
We pride ourselves on the fact we are a one stop solution to our clients, seeing through projects from start to finish, without the need to involve main contractors.
Guaranteed Peace of Mind
JDB Roofing is an established and award-winning industrial roofing company offering industrial and commercial roofing services throughout the UK.
- Professional, qualified operatives – CSCS, SSSTS, SMSTS, Safe Contractor
- We’ll keep your business operational
- We’ll manage the project’s CDM and Health & Safety requirements
- We’ll recommend the route to minimise your costs